Lovely Lumiere: DIY Candles
Hope you’re all sufficiently rested after lovely weekends to feel up to tackling this gorgeous little project that we found on www.candletech.com. So simple to make, and so gorgeous for any party or wedding, these little wax lumieres can be made in any size (depending on how big you make the balloons), so we’d suggest making lots and lots of all different dimensions and group them together to create glowing, organic centerpieces. Also, if you’re feeling braver, mix some colour into the wax and play around with different shades and tones – we’re going to try milky pinks and peaches for a soft, romantic feel… we’ll keep you posted on how we get on!! Enjoy, Aoife & Deirdre xx
Now for the ‘How-To’… we’re giving you the pretty pictures first, and the instructions below ;0)
You will need : High Melt Paraffin Wax (try most good craft stores), party balloons, a double boiler, non-stick cookie / biscuit sheet.
1. Fill balloon with tepid water.
2. Melt your wax. Optimum working temperature for this project is 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Try to maintain this temperature for your wax while working by keeping it on a double boiler.
3. Slowly dip your balloon into the wax to just below the water level in the balloon. Warning: Do not dip the balloon into the wax past the water level. This could cause the balloon to pop.
4. Hold the balloon in the wax for a few seconds, and then slowly lift it out of the wax. Dip the balloon a few more times, allowing some time between dips to let the wax cool.
5. While it is still quite warm, carefully set the balloon down onto a piece of paper or a cookie sheet, making sure it is level. This will create a flat bottom for the lumiere.
6. Dip your balloon a few more times until it is the desired thickness. A good target thickness is 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch.
7. Set the balloon on the paper or cookie sheet again and let it cool.
8. When the wax is completely cooled, hold the balloon over a sink or bucket, facing away from you. Carefully pop the balloon with a skewer or knife and let the water drain out. Throw away the balloon shards.
9. To level the top of the lumiere, heat a cookie sheet on the stove and place the lumiere top-down onto the hot sheet and carefully melt the edges until it is level.
10. Place a tea light or votive inside the lumiere and burn on a candle holder in a dark area…. gorgeous!
- knelsonr likes this
- funcraftcrap reblogged this from bloodyfast
- lovecannotsaveyou likes this
- jessicabreezy likes this
- starvelikeyoumeanit likes this
- krndahae reblogged this from hirethestache
- lynda337 likes this
- imaginaryyrrabbits likes this
- dexterthetzupoms-mom likes this
- manderbot likes this
- trixielips likes this
- what-awonderful-world likes this
- abbysanti likes this
- abbysanti reblogged this from hirethestache
- saamanthro reblogged this from hirethestache
- runyouclevercleverboy reblogged this from hirethestache
- nostalgic-symphony likes this
- girlutalk2much-shutup likes this
- amatista-violeta likes this
- hooligan-in-the-tardis reblogged this from sexmeupscotty
- elegantmaterialist reblogged this from sexmeupscotty
- elegantmaterialist likes this
- elephantemptress reblogged this from sexmeupscotty
- sexmeupscotty reblogged this from fieryredsam
- meerabai likes this
- omniscientgeorgenotsomuch reblogged this from looneyforlupin
- omniscientgeorgenotsomuch likes this
- looneyforlupin reblogged this from obens
- kiaravegan likes this
- si3rra likes this
- kt-dee reblogged this from obens
- abetterfatethanwisdom likes this
- themayorofsimpleton likes this
- obens reblogged this from hirethestache
- michfish24 likes this
- heykaytay likes this
- lostforgottenfound reblogged this from hirethestache
- holdontohope likes this
- kiml likes this
- pig-rabbits likes this
- pocketfulloffadedmemories reblogged this from just-forget-everything
- megan3ashley reblogged this from just-forget-everything
- just-forget-everything reblogged this from hirethestache
- rozush likes this
- samoluda reblogged this from mmmsaao
- peaceandlove494 reblogged this from samanthaleigh995
- exudesavoirefaire likes this
- 1-800-fyou reblogged this from hirethestache
- kayeelelewhy likes this
- taterhater reblogged this from ghostsandchandeliers